Friday, July 1, 2011

Wildlife at Cherry Creek

The last few times I've been to Cherry Creek State Park (the park across the street where I walk Grover), there has been an abundance of wildlife I hadn't seen there before. For those of you who are wildlife nerds like me, you'll enjoy this..:)

All of these pictures were lovingly and carefully stolen from Google. I know a lot more wildlife than what I've seen exists over there, but I'll just post what I've seen with my own eyes..

Birds
Red Winged Blackbird

We saw several blackbirds attacking a hawk. Perhaps the hawk was trying to eat their babies? The hawk was pretty laid back, just flying in circles lazily while it was being pecked all over by these three smaller birds. It was probably a lot like when the little guy in the movie tries to be a hero, punches the huge guy, and the huge guy just smiles at him.

Hawk


Meadowlark













Blue Heron

We like to see this guy because when he's out, he's usually fishing, and that's fun to watch.

Magpie

These birds are beautiful to watch fly with their black and white contrast. Ryan says they are gross birds (like they are the carp of the bird world) but I love watching them!

Pheasant

This is what we think we saw a silhouette of in the tall grass. Grover was locked into something in the woods and we kept hearing this scuttering sound. As we slowly approached the sound, thinking it was a muskrat or a mouse or something, I see this HUGE shadow dart away. I think I screamed. My first thought was that it was a small dinosaur. Then Ryan said "Oh it's probably a pheasant." I'm still not sure.

Don't even act like it's not a distinct possibility!

And of course you have your everyday goose, robin, and mallards putzing around...there are also these little brown birds but who knows what they actually are.

Ok moving on from birds!

Mule Deer



I saw a doe and a young buck - this picture looks almost identical to the buck I saw. The doe was pretty far away and didn't care about me and Grover at all. The buck I spotted because he was standing in the tall cattails and I thought I saw a shape of antlers in the middle of it all. I wasn't sure until he turned his head and then Grover and I proceeded to slowly and quietly approach him to get a better look - all the while I'm hoping he doesn't decide to attack us like the deer in those youtube videos. He bounded away about 4 giant deer bounds and then stopped to eat - he didn't care much that we were there so we watched him for a while.





These pictures also add to the evidence that Grover is part deer. AND if you've ever had the privilege of watching Grover bound after a squirrel, then you know he has the moves.
Bull Snake
I just saw this today. The snake was probably three feet long? Apparantly snakes are pretty common over there according to a guy I talked to about the snake - he said he sees one every time he goes over there. Thankfully, this snake was very docile and is a non-poisonous snake anyway. I think the only poisonous snakes there are the rattlers.

Sorry to anyone who just got the heebie jeebies from this picture :)

That is all for now. My Marty Stouffer must come to a close. If I see more or remember more that I've seen, I'll post it!

No comments:

Post a Comment