Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Back from the ranch! Part 2

Day 2...well let's start with Night 1: Grover was up all night the first night so I was up all night the first night :). I'm sure he was hearing the ground squirrels or mice pattering around outside and he was just beside himself. No one else seemed to notice him, but I did! The nice thing was that I knew I had nothing but time to nap the next day and I didn't have to get up for anything!

Anyway, we actually got up as the sun was coming up so Ryan ran outside with the camera.

Nice hmm? This is the view from the front porch.
This is actually the out house...but the picture makes it look cool. :)
Now remember how I said Grover was so worried about the creatures outside and didn't sleep all night? Well, he got over that. Leave it to him to find the sunniest spot in the house and crash there.


Now of my favorite things at the ranch, the baby goats were one of them of course! They were all bottle-fed and as of the day or so before we came, they were switched to grain. Hanging out with freshly weaned goats means a lot of attempts to eat your clothes and suck on your fingers.

This goat was the most outgoing.
The goat I'm flirting with here was the most affectionate. He also had a pretty bad cough and lots of snot. He was my favorite anyway...
Note my left sleeve being attacked.

 
There is also a tradition to feed extra pancakes to the ground squirrels. I personally would call this animal a chipmunk but I was schooled that this is not a chipmunk...it is a ground squirrel. This particular one cashed in the most pancakes. He lived under the porch so I spread pancakes all around the porch and would watch him throughout the morning. Grover liked him too but for different reasons.




Day 2 was a lot of shooting in the pit (pictures to come), taking walks, and we went on a leisurely 4-wheeler expedition. The lowlands around the mountains were pretty flooded due to all the snow melting. The statistic for this year is that they got 250% more snow than normal so all that runoff and melting made the pastures into lakes. We actually couldn't even drive our car on the road to the cabin - we left it out on the county road and Tim picked us up in the truck. When we went out on the 4-wheeler, we couldn't go as far as we wanted because the road was so flooded. Pretty crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment